Tuesday 18 February 2014

Delicious Toddler food

Like all mums, one my main priorities is for my little boy to eat healthy and to develop a good relationship with food. I want him to try most things and develop a taste and opinion of his own. I have always had this internal worry that he could be a fussy eater, but luckily, that has not been the case so far. I do admire the little guy for wanting to try everything. Generally, he will eat everything I give him, and he is very curious about what is on our plates. He loves to pick up his food with his hands, which I welcome at this age ( 18 months). As far as I am concerned, food stimulates all the senses, and if he wants to touch and see what it feels like, then I let him.

Recently, I have been very inspired by the beautiful and practical food ideas on Pinterest. So many mums out there are sharing such great ideas for toddler food and snacks. I always get inspiration whenever my mind goes blank. And some of the food presentation is simply mind blowing.  Yes, granted we may not always have time to craft a little fish out of bread and fruit for our babies, but it's great to be inspired.

Today I'm sharing a delicious recipe for Baby Frittatas. I recently made them for my little guy and he gave them a big stamp of approval. I found it on Eat Drink Pretty, even though I adapted the recipes to suit the veggies I had on hand.  I gave them to him once as an afternoon snack and once as part of a lunch, where I also served cucumber sticks and strawberries. The great thing about these frittatas is that little ones can easily feed themselves.


Incidentally, I really liked them too, and agree with Jenna of Eat Drink Pretty that these could be a great appetizer for grown ups too. I might try varying the seasoning and serving them at my next party. Will let you know how they go down!

Baby Frittatas
In the meantime, I hope your little ones enjoy these scrumptious bites.  I forgot to take photos, so I am including the photo taken by Jenna, which links back to her idea packed blog.

Baby Frittatas
Ingredients
3 eggs
2 Tablespoons of milk (I just used whole milk)
2 Tablespoons of grated Parmesan (I used cheddar and some parmesan)
1/4 cups diced asparagus ( I replaced with spinach)
1/4 cups diced tomatoes (original recipe calls for sun-dried tomatoes)
1/2 cup diced carrots ( I think you can add any veggies you like)



Preparation

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray or grease 12 mini muffins cups with oil or butter.

In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together.  Stir in the remaining ingredients.

Place a heaping tablespoon of the egg/vegetable mixture in each muffin cup.

Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until golden and set.

No comments:

Post a Comment